September 29, 2003 - 5:14 pm
well so far my resolve is working like a charm and it doesn't hurt that i got a brand new job! well, right now it's not permanent or anything like that, but it is a web design job that pays well and they want me to work more. i had my first day today and it went well. i just hand-coded someone else's design and made only a few of my own design changes, but i will be doing more of the design work soon. the office is located in gastown and they've got the stereotypical hi-tech benefits: a fooz-ball table and indoor golf and a fully stocked kitchen filled to the brim with free goodies, lunches and snacks. i will continue bringing my brown-bag lunches but it was nice to be able to grab a juice from the fridge.
yesterday after meeting up for breakfast with friends, i picked up my bike from the repair shop and rode like a daemon to main street where i got my hair cut. and wow, what a difference! i had been living in a fog of ugliness and low self worth all because i couldn't find the time (or i was too cheap) to get a haircut. my hair is short-ish and i dyed it a lovely shade of auburn. i suddenly look like my old self and i feel a whole lot better too. phew.
now for some travel highlights! in point form no less....
- state/province with the best rest stops: michigan
- in chicago i had horchata for the first time. mmmm, cinnamon rice milk, you are my friend for life!
- boo to all the $18/car national monuments and parks in the united states. fuck you mount rushmore! i liked my free visits to the national parks and monuments in canada! dinosaur park in alberta was incredibly amazing!!
- best rootbeer float: wisconson. due to their "frozen custard" and it's state law requiring a certain number of eggs and a certain percentage of cream. mmmm.
- never -- i repeat -- never stay at the tokyo hotel in chicago. we only lasted one night there and i killed a roach within 1 minute of entering the room and i left the room the next morning with flea bites. needless to say, i didn't sleep and my clothes and shoes were on the whole time.
- besides that one disasterous night, our 4 days in chicago were amazing. great architecture and i loved quimbys and the wicker park neighbourhood. sadly, vegetables were damn hard to find in a melieu of demon dogs, mister beef and deep-dish pizza.
- my parents (i think) liked cornelius!
- i had never heard of broasted chicken until we ate a muio's in saulte ste marie. it was great but i still don't know what broasted means.
- best free tourist attraction: the corn palace, mitchell, SD
- besides the usual barnyard animals, we saw countless of wildlife, including a wolf, mountain goats, mule deer, hawks and i'm sure there were others....
okay, that's all i can muster up right now. please let me know if you received my postcards cuz i sure sent out a bunch to those of you who asked!